Fundamentals Of Computer Hardware And Software
It is necessary for all ICT professionals to work with both computer hardware and software, so they must be able to differentiate between them if they are to troubleshoot and solve problems that arise in personal computers, as problems that occur will either be hardware or software related. This course provides the fundamental knowledge of hardware and software that the ICT professionals will need to hone and apply on the job. Through this course, students should develop the skills and knowledge that are required to install, upgrade, maintain, and solve issues that are related to hardware and software failures.
This course provides students with opportunities to learn about the components of the computer’s hardware. It allows them to learn about inner components of the computer system, their location and functions. It teaches students about advanced computing concepts, such as types and role of applications, programming languages, other computer-related systems.
On successful completion of this course students should be able to:
- Describe the essential components in a computer system.
- Demonstrate how data is process by a personal computer.
- Differentiate between software application, utility and operating system.
- Install and configure a variety of software and operating systems.
- Install utility software and describe how it is used to manage the security of a computer system.
- Describe the structure of different software and operating systems.
- Describe the system unit components, registry, cmos and bios
- Explain the role of the central processing unit, monitor and keyboard and mouse in functions of the computer system.
- Initiate the process of booting
- Explain the concept of ergonomics and state its role in the field of computer science.
- Install device drivers.
- Set-up and restore a registry
- Customize a start up menu
Course OutlineRevised - Fundamentals of Hardware and Software - IFTH1000 2021
- Lectures 67
- Quizzes 7
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All
- Language English
- Students 77
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self
1. Essential Components of the Computer System Unit:
- Lesson 1 – The case
- Case Assessment 1
- Lesson 2 – Electronic circuitry
- Lesson 3 – The power supply
- Lesson 4 – Motherboard
- Lesson 5 – Hard drive
- Lesson 6 – Floppy disk drive
- Lesson 7 – CD-ROM drive
- Lesson 8 – Disk controller
- Lesson 9 – Input/output ports
- Input/output ports Assessment 1
- Lesson 10 – Video adapter
- Lesson 11 – Sound board
- Lesson 12 – Input devices
- Lesson 13 – The central processing unit (CPU)
- Lesson 14 – Memory
- Lesson 15 – Output devices
- Lesson 16 – Storage devices
2. Types of Computer Software:
3. Principles of Data Processing:
4. Fundamentals of Memory and Storage Devices:
5. Introduction to Computer Systems Administration:
6. Computer Communications Channels and Equipment.
7. How to Purchase, Install, and Maintain a Computer, an operating system and computer applications.
8. Fundamentals of Ergonomics
9. Principles Computer Systems Data Back up
10. Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP)
- Lecture Note 1 (Chapter 1)
- Lecture Note 2 (Chapter 2)
- Lecture Note 3 (Chapter 4)
- Lecture Note 4 (Chapter 5)
- Lecture Note 5 (Chapter 6)
- Lecture Note 6 (Chapter 6 (Cont’d),7 & 8)
- Lecture Note 7 (Chapter 7 Part 2)
- Lecture Note 8 (Chapter 8 Part 2)
- Lecture Note 9 (Chapter 12)
- Lecture Note 10 (Chapter 13)
- Lecture Note 11 (Chapter 17 Part 1)
- Lecture Note 12 (Chapter 17 Part 2)
- Lecture Note 13 (Module 2)
- Lecture Note 14 (Instructor Materials – Chapter 7)
- Lecture Note 15 (Instructor Materials – Chapter 8)
Study Trip Resources
This course was a bit lengthy but was well worth it it gave me a deeper understanding about the hardware aspects of a computer and i will gladly recommend this course to others.
Your thoughts on this course
Explain what you think about the course. How did you benefit from the course and would you recommend this course to others?
Your thoughts on the course
Explain your thoughts on the course and your opinions...